Sunday, April 6, 2014

Used Cars and Church



So I bought a new car.  See post here.  Marti helped me pick it out.  Well, he was buying a new car and just asked the salesman if he had any vans.  So that lead to the salesman calling me.  He asked me about what I was looking for, and if I had a trade in.  I told him I had a 2005 Dodge caravan with 220,000 miles.  Yes that is the correct amt of miles.  I also am a school teacher (21 years in fact) and have good credit.  When he found out what car I was driving, he KNEW it was a sale.  He kept bugging me to come see this van he had.  I kept putting him off.  Its Christmas Eve, too busy, kids schedules...THEN he says well, he will bring the van to me if that is easier.  I didn't want that because I knew I would have to buy it and it would be weird to have him come to my house.  So, I ignored his texts and phone calls.  He didn't have my address. He KNEW if I got there, drove the car, felt the seats, experienced how much better that car drove than what I was driving,  and how much safer I would feel in  a newer more reliable car.  That it would reduce my stress every morning that my car wouldn't get me to work or anywhere for that matter.  A new car would solve those problems.

It got me thinking about that.  Its like  Church.  (yes I just compared church to Used car salesman)  The Lord knows if he can just get us IN the church, to experience the feel of the church, feel the spirit, experience the music that we sing, listen to the prelude, listen to the talks and we are better off.  For me, if I can just show up.  (sometimes that's the hardest part, getting there..)  it provides me an opportunity to feel the Spirit.  Very few times have I gone to church and wished I didn't go at all.  (maybe when got a calling I wished I wasn't there)  And times when I wanted to leave, and didn't, I am glad that I didn't.  On Sunday, when I'm sitting alone, (which is every week in RS) it is the only time all week that NO one has been talking to me.  Its time to just feel.  To let the spirit fill your heart.  The Gospel provides safety and comfort.  I'm always in need of both!





  

No comments:

Post a Comment