Sunday, May 27, 2018

Santa Fe College for Zoo Keepers

Brooke and I just got back from Florida.  Yes, you read that right..I actually went on a trip...I haven't been on an airplane for about 18 years.  It was fun to travel on an airplane again...anyway our goal was to check out Santa Fe Community College.  They have a Zoo Keeper program and Brooke wants to go there in the fall.

So we flew into Orlando, rented a car and drove to Gainsville, FL about 2 hours away.  Well, actually, McCall, my niece did the driving.   She came with us too and Michelle, my sister.

When we arrived we had a Tour of their Zoo from a student that was a mid.  Which means she is half way through the program.  She was from Illinois ( I think) and had already graduated in Art. She was looking for something else to do and decided to go to Zoo School.  She was also paying out of state tuition.  It was fabulous tour.  We had tons of questions to ask, and she explained what the students do all day, and we got to see the students in action with their projects they were working on in the zoo.






This is the only pic I got of the tour.  It is McCall, Brooke and then the Zookeeper Student our tour guide.



Our tour lasted at least an hour.  Then she met with a counselor that answered any other questions and helped with a schedule of classes.  We drove by a few apartments that she is going to check out and we got some hints for how to find somewhere to live.  I think she is ready to go.  I thought the school was great!  It is small and every one of the graduates this year had somewhere to go....like a job or an internship after.  I am jealous because I never thought of being a Zoo Keeper.





No comments:

Post a Comment