Sunday, May 3, 2020

Delta Trip

Every Tuesday since under quarantine (well almost every one) Michelle and Marlena and I have gone on a field trip. We decided to go to Delta this week.  My Mother is from Delta and I haven't been back there for about 3 years.  It was a great drive about 2 hours.  We stopped by the cemetary to see where her Parents were buried. 
This is Elpha, her aunt that she didn't even know existed until she was in college.  Elpha lived at the State Mental Hospital and no one ever talked about her.  That is so sad.  


This is my Great Grandma and Grandpa's headstone, my mom's grandparents.  She lived with them after her mother got divorced.  Her dad took her mom and marlena and her two brothers and moved them to Delta to live with their grandparents because he was leaving them.  Quite scandalous back in the day I think.  So my Grandma had to go to work.  She worked at the movie theater at night and during the day she worked in the store on main street.  D. Stevens it was called.  




This is the house my mom grew up in since she was 12.  My grandma Stella married my grandpa Fon and moved into this house. My mom was 12.  So this is the house I visited my grandparents in Delta.  Such good memories.  It wasn't blue at the time.  And the grass was greener in the front.  






This side of the house you can see a door.  That is the door in my grandma Stella's bedroom.  At night, she would turn off the lights and open up that door and only have the screen.  I was scared to death when I stayed over.  I asked her if she was scared anyone would come in the screen.  No one comes around here at night.  Ok...well, they just might Gma.  She was so brave.  

The door on the right is the door my grandma and grandpa would come out and wave as soon as they saw us pull up for a visit.  They were so excited to see us.  








This is my Grandma and Grandpa Fon.  I couldn't get a good picture due to the tree branch in the way.  My grandpa Fon married my grandma when he was 50.  He was the greatest grandpa ever.  One would think that marrying my grandma at 50 he would be ornery and selfish.  Nope.  Not him.  He thought we were the best.  He told me the best thing about marrying my grandma was us kids.  





Marlena and Michelle adding pinwheels.  We haven't been down to decorate the graves in a few years.  






We got lunch at a place in Spanish Fork called The Italian Place.  We stopped at about 4 drive throughs to get drinks and then to go to the bathroom.  Whats a road trip without lots of stops and lunch.  We had such a great time.  It is so nice to have good memories of my grandparents.  




No comments:

Post a Comment