Saturday, January 20, 2018

Moby Dick

Abi got an email from the orchestra teacher saying that students could attend the dress rehersal for Moby Dick.  It is an Opera at Capital Theater. Students were free and guardians are 5.00. Wow.  That price is right!  So we went.  We also got to listen to some lecture before the show about the show and production.  It was super interesting and we got a synopsis of the play so that helped.  I am not sure I would have even understood any of it had I not been to that class.  I have been thinking maybe I should read the book...

We then went to the show.  It started at 7:00 and we got finished at 10:00.  That was super long!  It was really well done but Opera isn't my first love.  Around 9:30 I thought they could have wrapped up the story.  The big deal was how the whale was to appear onstage.  Well, it ended up being just a circle disc that raised up from the floor that had a whale eye.  It was cool and everything, but they said the Opera Company was sworn to secrecy about how it was going to appear...seems a bit over rated.  I also can't imagine they sang for 3 hours and are not miked.  That takes some talent.  We learned that fun fact during the class.  I haven't seen many operas so it was a good cultural experience.  It was a super good night and fun to go with Abi.




No comments:

Post a Comment