Saturday, November 30, 2013

Turkey Trot 2013

Thanksgiving 2013 will be one I remember for a long time.  It started with a brisk 5K race.  Yes that's correct.  A 5k race.  3.1 miles of race.  Michelle, McCall, McKenna, Blake, Maureen, Brooke and Abi participated in the race.  Martin was actually the organizer and he had to work and save lives instead so he couldn't run with us.

So, Brooke and Abi and I have been training.  We had been running at the gym 3-4 times a week.  I just never thought I was getting faster or better.  I could never run a full mile without stopping.  We did train much better than I thought we would.  So race day comes.  We arrive abt 20 minutes early.  Lots of energy around.  People are fun and ready to race.  Every size was there.  Some even bigger than I am.  (Yes hard to believe). There were over 700 racers.  We got to the starting line, and we were off.  Brooke and I stayed together (she could have been faster if she went ahead of me). We ran the first mile - which was right to the front of target store our favorite store - and I looked at my phone and we had a 14 minute mile!  Okay so not that great for most of you, but it was my fastest mile from training.  I never could get under about 16 minutes.  Brooke I think had been faster than I had been in training!  But SUCCESS!!

Second mile was uneventful.  We did make a loop and saw Blake and Michelle.  They were ahead of us - surprise!  We kept running and around back of the Home Depot and Walmart by the dumpster part of the course and we are making another loop and we pass Abi going strong.  She was on her last bit to the finish line!  I thought we must be almost finished.  NOPE we had to make another loop and then come back around the stinky dumpsters!  finally we were at the same place as we saw Abi!
Then we looked up and there was Abi and McKenna who had finished and come back to jog us to the finish line!  Brooke and I finished strong.  Personal goal met.  I wanted to be under an hour and NOT last!  Success on both account!  Not even close to being last!  I think at least 100 people finished after we did.  Everyone did great.

Abi finished 11th place in her division in 30:09.  It was 117 place.
McKenna 7th in her age, and 38th place.  25:27.
Maureen finished 13 in age division in 44:30.
Brooke finished 34 in her division and in 44:15.
McCall was 31 in her age and 35:11
Michelle finished 13 in her division in 40:11.
Blake finished 34 in 40:10.

Super fun wan to start our thanksgiving!  I think we are all game for next year.  We may even run the st Patricks day race!


McCall, Michelle, Abi, Maureen Blake, Brooke, McKenna

Brooke, Maureen and Abi



Abi, McCall, Blake, Brook, McKenna








No comments:

Post a Comment