Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Another Year

 I just completed year 28 or 27 of teaching.  I can't remember how many and I could look somewhere I'm sure.  It doesn't matter so much because I can't retire for a few years ...like 10 more.  But it was an interesting year with Covid 19 rampant.  We started the school year on a hybrid schedule.  Which meant half of the kids came to school and half of them stayed home then the next day the other half showed up and the other half stayed home  So the kids came two days a week and two days at home.  

We did that for a while and then we went back to full time school, well monday to thursday  and Friday the kids stayed home but teachers showed up.  I loved that schedule.  It was so nice to have fridays every week to plan and organize and clean.  The stress was so much less this year with that extra time.  We did have to wear masks and we had to contact trace. Which means if someone came down with Covid then anyone sitting around them had to quarantine at home for 14 days or a negative covid test after 5 days (something like that).   We had a bunch of students out.  If the school reached 10 percent of school having covid the school had to go on online learning for 14 days.  That didn't happen to my school but it did to Bountiful High School (where Nick goes).  

Then the Vaccines came out.  Teachers were the first to get them I think right after healthcare workers.  I got mine early.  Then the 16 and above could get them if you have an underlying medica condition.  Brooke and Nick got theirs.  Then others without medical conditions got theirs.  Andrew and Abi got theirs.  It was interesting because slowly the numbers started coming down and we didn't have to contact trace.  The last two weeks of school those 12 and above were approved.  Jack got his and a bunch of my jr high kids started to get immunized.  We stopped talking about numbers and covid mostly because it was not as urgent in our lives I think.  Then the last week of school we didn't have to wear masks at all.  That was a refreshing change and fun to see the kids faces that we havent seen all year.  I hope we are forever finished with Covid 19.  I'm sick of hearing Covid anything.  



This is me at school.  Thats my bulletin board behind my desk


 
Highlight of the year is the sheep heart dissection.  


Here it is close up


They come prepackaged




Here's my classroom.  I had to take a pic for someone that was doing an interior design project so decided I would post here for posterity...(like anyone will care..)  


Box of sheep hearts


The other highllight is the Frog dissection.  The black stuff is eggs and the white stuff is fat.  



They were huge bullfrogs.

Teaching is difficult and yet it has been very rewarding and a good profession.  I sure am ready for summer vacation though


No comments:

Post a Comment