Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Summer School

Sometimes, I teach summer school.  One never knows if the program is going to go.  We had 4 teachers for Earth Science Summer, and then the program got cut and we had less kids.  So we were down two teachers. One being me since I started as an extra in the first place.  Then, this year at the last minute, the Biology job opened up so I have been teaching Biology this summer.  

Summer school is different because you have the kids all day and usually you don't have any behavior problems.  Which means you can do all the fun things.  We only had 7 students this year.  I can't believe they decided to have the program go with only that many.  But I am glad we did.

We had such few kids that we covered the material so quickly, that we decided to go on a few field trips with the other Science class.  It was taught by my friends however, so that helped.  We went to Antelope Island and heard from a naturalist about the food chains and things that live out there and their adaptations to living in that environment.  We also went through the visitors center.  This
is a pic of some cool charts in the visitors center.



We also went to the Fielding Garr Ranch.  It is an old ranch that was active a long time ago.  And it is now a museum..It has a fresh spring near so thats why they can have such green grass.  There are also Bison there.  These were pretty close and the farmer that was there, has to drive a golf cart to keep them at bay. 




It is hard to teach and be gone all day, while my family is home all day making messes and sitting around. Then when I am home and tired, they are ready to go somewhere.  I came home one day to this on my bed...guess it as a good day watching TV in my bed.


We also toured the water treatment plant.  Here is a sign about water treatment with ozone.  I was going to make a ppt about it and never did.  



Glad it is over.  It was good money because we get paid teacher wage by the hour and it is just added on to our regular pay.  No insurance taken out or retirement because that has already been taken out of your regular pay.  So it is especially sweet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment